Welcome!

We're just a couple of friends with a few good games. Check here often for news and updates coming from ShawtyHullstineFilms.

Subscribe!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

F.A.Q. 2

Howdy folks!

Since my last FAQ is severely outdated I thought I'd give it an update.  Here goes nothing...

Q: How do you record/edit?

A:  Easily my most asked question.  If you're going to record video and audio, you're either gonna need a capture card or a video camera that can record DIRECTLY from your source or your TV.  I have a capture card: the Hauppauge HD PVR.  I used to have a Dazzle, but I upgraded a year ago.  You can see the quality difference between the two on our YouTube channel.  If you're a beginner, then get a Dazzle.  It's only about $20 and usually comes with an editing software such as Pinnacle Studio (which I used to edit video before I got my Hauppauge).  It may record in a lower quality, but if you don't know if making videos is something you like then you don't want to spend a ton of money.  Also, HD capture cards like the Hauppauge or the Blackmagic Intensity create large file sizes, so if you don't have the memory then you shouldn't record in HD.

Here's how to set up the Hauppauge:

Since the Hauppauge doesn't record from HDMI, you're going to need to use a YPbPr cable.  Plug the Xbox YPbPr cable into the back of your Xbox and connect it to the "in" ports in the back.  That includes sound, too.  (Note, since the USB cable that comes from your Hauppauge isn't that long, it's going to have to be located close to your computer.  If your Xbox is far away, you're going to need extension YPbPr cables and audio cables.  The duel-sided YPbPr cables and audio cables are usually sold separately, you need to get both.  You're also going to need couplers to connect the extension cables to your Xbox cables. The Hauppauge comes with 3 feet of extension cables.  At one point before I moved around my office, I had almost 30 feet of extension cables.)  Then take extension YPbPr cables and audio cables (like stated above, the Hauppauge comes with 3 feet) and plug one end into the "out" ports in your Hauppauge and the other end into your TV.  Take the USB from the Hauppauge and plug it into your computer (The Hauppauge uses USB 2.0, the Blackmagic Intensity needs 3.0).  Load up the TotalMedia Extreme capture software that comes with the Hauppauge and begin recording!  I record in the M2TS format because it's high quality with smaller file sizes.

Here is a nice diagram.

How to set up the Dazzle:

The Dazzle setup process is very similar except for a few minor differences.  First is the fact that it uses standard component cables, not YPbPr cables.  Secondly is the fact that the Dazzle only has "in" ports, so you're going to need splitters to use for both "in" and "out" ports.

I use Sony Vegas Pro 9 to edit.  It is pretty expensive and sophisticated, so it's not ideal for beginners.  I import my files, adjust text and audio settings and add effects if needed, and then render.  I render in Sony AVC format with max settings.

Q: OK, so I'm making content.  How do I get subscribers?

A: I'm still searching for an answer, too.  The thing is that YouTube has mountains of content, so your videos are just going to get buried underneath that mountain.  YouTube isn't what it used to be.  It's a lot harder to get famous.  But with hard work, you'll get there.  Just know that it's not going to happen overnight.

But there are some tricks that I can share with you that I've learned from my 2 1/2 years of experience.  The biggest thing is to create lots of content.  Make sure the quality is good, but create a lot.  I've noticed that my subscription count skyrockets when I upload more than 1 video per week, and it drops when I take breaks.  Also, get to know people.  Make connections with other YouTubers of your genre.  It's going to be a lot easier to be successful when you can work with someone else.  But once more, no one is going to trust you overnight.  Establish a good track record and then those connections will come to you.  It took me several years to get a connection with CMNeir, but now I'm recording Halo: CEA Tricks for him.  Like I said, it takes time.

Q: Can I play with you guys sometime?

While my friends list is usually full, I'm open to game invites.  Just don't spam me constantly with messages and join my parties.  That gets annoying very quickly.  I'm also working to start up some servers for games such as Minecraft and Halo: Custom Edition, so that should be a good time to play with us.

Q: What are some of your favorite games?

A: We like all sorts of games.  Halo, Battlefield 3, Minecraft, Half Life 2, APB: Reloaded, and Counter-Strike: Source for example.  We're also looking forward to Halo 4, GTA 5, and the new Counter-Strike.



Well that's it for now.  I'll have this linked in the sidebar should you need to quickly reference it again.  I'll also try to update it with more questions as they come.

Thanks,
Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment